Sunday, November 9, 2014

Indie Ville TV #13 Nashville Up and Coming Rock Goddes Asheira

Written by Omari Byrd

This week I got the chance to sit down with Asheira, an up and coming rock goddess making noise in the Nashville music scene. Blending classic rock ballads with tunes catchy enough to be heard on your local radio, let’s see what makes Asheira tick!

DA: Where are you from and how long have you been in Nashville?

ASH: I'm the product of a military family so I'm a little bit from everywhere; but I spent 10 years in Mobile, Alabama and fought my way to Nashville,Tennessee and I've been here for about 3 years now.

DA: What’s your favorite thing to do in the city and why is it your favorite thing?

ASH: Definitely music and looking for the right people to work with! I've been collectively writing and co-writing with different people, finding musicians that mesh with my style, and after 2 years of looking for the right people, the band just came together this year and here we are. We've self produced an EP album and released one single that has been getting a buzz on 102.9 The Buzz, and that single has led us to other producers and new opportunities! We're actually in talks with Mark Neill, producer of the The Black Keys Brothers album, it's unofficial as of now but we hope it pans out; it's very exciting!

DA: Wow! Very swagged out, I love the work ethic; it definitely sounds like you're working around the clock. So tell me about the band!

ASH: Well the band is made up of drummer Dustin Roberts, Wade Blair on guitar, Steven Thomas on bass, and Jeremy Brading on rhythm guitar. They're amazingly talented and like family to me.

DA: Beautiful; that's the way it's supposed to be. What artists would you say inspire you?

ASH: I like artists with their own style like Jimmy Hendrix, Jack White, and Led Zeppelin, but especially artists like Dan Fenton of Feedback Revival who inspired me and actually helped produce and co-write some of our songs; I love him. Also I love Jeff Buckley, he's one of the best vocalists ever and the only reason I say that is because his songs are more of a passionate, emotional release. He's mastered his character and that's what it's all about.

DA: I hear you with the "mastered his character" statement... you really know something about mastering a character don't you? What movie are you going to be in again?

ASH: Well yeah, I do act, and I play a lead role in the independent film "Race With The Devil" that will be coming out very soon. Be sure to check me out!
DA: Oh, I surely won't forget! Now that we know who has contributed to your sound, how exactly would you describe your sound?

ASH: I definitely have an eclectic sound of 60's, 70's, and 80's rock & roll, mixed with modernized pop elements and different pieces put together. I get No Doubt, ACDC, and The White Stripes comparisons all the time; I love it!

DA: Wow, I must say your music actually had that effect on me! I definitely caught that eclectic, No Doubt vibe when listening to your single "Riding in Cars". Now if you can describe it, what effect would you like your music to have on people?

ASH: I just want people let go of the corporateness of music and feel cool/have fun! It's no secret that you can go to a show in Nashville and see people  with their arms crossed still standing there. Why!? I want people to be themselves because nobody's perfect, and the imperfections of rock & roll are what make it rock and roll. My goal is just to make Nashville dance again.

DA: Now that's dope; I couldn't agree more on that. As Goodie Mob once said, "they don't dance no mo"! Here's a wild question, say you could work with any artist EVER... who would you work with?

ASH: It would have to be Freddie Mercury of Queen. He's one of my favorite vocalists in the world! He's just so quirky and fun, I know we'd make a high energy record.

DA: Awesome. Insert Freddie Mercury meme here! So I know you've released some songs and you definitely have a lot in the chamber, but which of your songs would you release to the people if you could only choose one?

ASH: I'd probably release our song "Do or Die". It's about letting go of everything in order to do what you love with the people you love to do it with. Life is so short, you've got to do what you love. It's such a positive song, and that's the one I would love to give to people.

DA: Yes. It is all about positivity, and empowering people to do what they need to do, and the fact that you say that now means I know you'll follow up on the mic. That's very cool. Now I have a very serious question for you... soft shell or hard shell tacos?

ASH: Soft shell, because you can have more at one time!

DA: Those are my sentiments exactly! Now Asheira, you have one chance to say something to the entire world. Go!

ASH: I would tell the world do what you love, life is short, and live it with the people you love!

DA: There we go, a cool response from a cool chick. Asheira, thanks for taking time out to tell me about yourself. Be sure to catch Asheira around town at one of her various  upcoming performances at the High Watt, Exit Inn, The End, and 5 Spot. Also check out her music, Facebook, Twitter, and everything else Asheira on www.reverbnation.com/asheira

No comments:

Post a Comment