Sunday, December 7, 2014

Indie Ville TV #17 Tyler of Diamond Carter

Wrtten by Omari Byrd


This week I got a crash course in how to be a rockstar after sitting down with Tyler of Diamond Carter. Headman of a raucous, in your face, 70’s/80’s glam rock band with funky vibes, Tyler pulls no punches and speaks on the truth behind his lyrics in this exciting interview!

DA: I’ve got to start out with the videos man; the music’s definitely there, but you’re a funny dude yo!

TYLER: Hahahaha! Thank you man, that’s my aim.

DA: You’re def the life of the party man! As a matter of fact, what are you getting into this weekend?

TYLER: Actually the band and I will be headed back to California this weekend where we originally met; we’ll be releasing new music, getting some rehearsals in, and playing shows. We’re actually going back and playing my old high school which is hilarious, because while I was there they hated me!

DA: WHAT!? You’re at the part in your career when you play your old high school already? Wow!

TYLER:  Yea dude, the triumphant return. They hated me man, but I got a call about 2 months ago from some kids at the school saying they were big fans and wanted me to come to the school and play. The only teacher that was there when I was there is the football coach, and he’s gonna get a kick out of this. It’s gonna’ be a real shit show man!

DA: Hilarious dude; you never disappoint. How’d you get to Nashville and what do you like about it?

TYLER: Well we all met up in Hollywood, they were going to school and I was working tattoo shops on the boulevard, then we clicked as a band. Next thing you know I move to Nashville then call them one night 3 months later, tell them they have to come down and they were just like “alright”! Now that we’re all down here, we love hangin’ out East with the bands we play a lot with, drinkin’, listening to old punk records, gettin’ into crazy shit the night offers. East Nashville is like a college town for punk rockers!

DA: Wow. I’m all for articulating the intricacies of an experience, and that is exactly what the hell is going on in East Nashville; well put! I like to look at Nashville as a new Brooklyn.

TYLER: Yea man, just like that! Except they’re more supportive in the South for sure.

DA: Word. Well Tyler what’s your passion in life, and what artists have inspired you?

TYLER: Well I really love poetry, but NOT spoken word poetry though. I think the only way to do poetry and not sound like a douchebag is to do rock and roll, and that is my perfect medium. The first bit of rock and roll I heard was Velvet Underground, old skateboard videos by Flip helped, that led into Jesus and Mary Jane, Primal Scream, and all types of old school British Rock.

DA: Word. So they inspired your sound, but how would you describe it and who is that sound for?

TYLER: Authentic with no pretenses man, I’m just telling my story man. From sellin’ and doing drugs in Hollywood, to my relationships with women. I just want it to be relatable for people, my real stuff.

DA: And that’s always the best man. We’re all connected, so if you tell the truth you’re bound to find a connection! If you could musically connect with anybody dead or alive, who would it be?

TYLER: It would have to be Ty Segall from Laguna Beach, he was at the forefront of flower punk, that surfy-beachy-punky-60’s type vibe. He’s an expert engineer at washy sounds, and blending the hippie movement with something more hardcore. I love it!

DA: I dig that sound too man, nice! If you could play one song for the people, what would it be?

TYLER: We’re actually putting it out when we go to California, it’s called “God Knows”. It was really rad when we were making it, we had around 40 people in the studio, we did a sing along at the beginning of it, it’s awesome. A depart from our usual debaucherous, drug songs; it’s about making an effort.

DA: Dope. As long as you know you can make it better for somebody else that’s what’s up. Before we depart though I’ve just got to ask man… what’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done!?

TYLER: Shit; a lot of stuff man. Hitchiking, seeing crack dens, selling heroin, playing in illegal speakeasies from 3 to 7 AM, people giving us bumps while we’re playing. Complete debauchery!

DA: Hahahaha! Holy shit dude, you are living the rock life yo; here’s your official stamp! Thanks for tellin’ your story man, we’ll definitely be on the lookout for Diamond Carter!

For music, tour dates, and more info on Diamond Carter, check out these links!

www.diamondcartermusic.com
http://www.youtube.com/diamondcarter69
www.facebook.com/diamondcartermusic
https://soundcloud.com/diamond-carter



No comments:

Post a Comment