Saturday, August 13, 2016

Indie Ville TV #112 Brauninger McDaniel: Singing the Blues

Written by Alexis Chateau        
                                                                                                 

Brauninger McDaniel knows a thing or two about blues, far beyond just singing it. Like world-renowned vocalist, Adele, Brauninger became inspired to write and make music after the heartbreak of a failed relationship.

Brauninger first moved to Nashville, with her then-husband, for better opportunities. But when the marriage ended, Brauninger found herself exploring one opportunity she had not explored before: a career in music.

On her own for the first time in years, the Louisiana native turned to music to move forward. Passersby often overheard her outside her duplex and encouraged her to make a profession out of her favorite hobby. After a while, Brauninger found herself thinking ‘Why not?’

That was more than half a decade ago.

“When I started writing, I was by myself a lot and things that I had [been] through started
coming to me,” she explains. “The first song I wrote was called ‘How did we end up this
way’” Naturally, Brauninger turned to jazz and blues, and then transformed her private
ruminations into something millions of other women around the world could relate to.

Even so, the up-and- coming singer doesn’t like to be boxed into any one category. “A lot of
people say it’s jazzy, and a lot of people say I’m blues, and a lot of people say it’s easy
listening. I have such a variety… I’ve been writing a lot of country too. I love country music!
… I like to mix my stuff up. I get bored of one thing. I try to be versatile with [my music].”

The versatility is evident in the wide range of musicians Brauninger thanks for her unique
sound. Brauninger credits Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, the Rascal Flats, Donna Ray, Sheryl
Crow and Keb’ Mo’.

She also credits her family, who she says was really into music, and encouraged her to
explore instruments, and her vocal range, from a young age. “I started at around five years
old. I played the piano… I play by ear, but I’ve been doing it for a while.”

Back in Louisiana, Brauninger’s uncle was also very involved in music and inspired her to
make music of her own, though it would be many years later before she pursued that
dream.

The timing must have been right, because things have definitely been on the up and up for
Brauninger. She was recently featured in the Country Music magazine, and feels honored to
have been chosen. She was also featured in the Nashville Scene, and will be one of the main
performers at the upcoming Wine Down Main Street in November, to benefit the Boys and
Girls Club of Middle Tennessee.

But Brauninger has much bigger plans ahead. “I would love to tour. I’ve had one CD out and
I’m working on another CD now, trying to get that out. So hopefully that won’t be too long.”
For updates on new music, check out her website at www.brauningermcdaniel.com.
Brauninger is also on the hunt for a booking agent and will probably be singing the blues at
a bar near you, sooner than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment