Monday, July 13, 2015

Indie Ville TV #46 The Outstanding David Perez

Written by Curtis Gardner

What were first memories of music growing up?

David: My first memories growing up in music was listening to old 45's I found in my parents attic The Beatles, Neil Diamond, The Commodores, Andre Crouch, CCR, The Animals, ect.. You name it man I was listening to it. I used to put on the music when my parents left to go some where and act like I was in concert while listening to U2 War or Resurrection Band from Chicago. I was heavily involved in music as a child soloist at a young age as well. The stage was something I never shyed away from ever!!  

Did you come from a music affluent family? If so what instruments our genres of music did they do?

David:No I was primarily the only one in the family that was in Music. My Mom used to yodle and my sisters were in theater. My Dad was a great dancer and loved music. I spent a lot of time alone listening to Rock & Roll and Urban Gospel 

Who were you musical influences?

David: First of all I must say that My biggest Influence is Jesus Christ and God's word has brought me to the point of success in songwriting that I now enjoy. Also My Stepson Steven and Tim Whittington, and my children Kristina and Anthony.  I grew up digging through my parents vinyl at a young age. I also was the youngest of 9  children and alone listening to classic rock on the radio by myself. The collection my parents had was a mix of Andre Crouch, The Animals, Neil Diamond, CCR, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and all of my Dad and Moms 

Be Bop stuff . My sister Catalina  on the other hand was  listening to U2, Triumph, Genesis,Toto, etc.. And my Sister Nancy was more into Air Supply, David Meece, Carmen, Elvis and a lot of the Christian music.
Then there was my brother Santos which came Black Sabbath, Ronnie James Dio, Van Halen and Judas Priest. So you can see where I have the ability to write so many styles being bathed in the melting pot of  a musical 

blender!!! I spent my days listening to Stevie Wonder, Chili Peppers,Rush, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner, Ozzy,Iron Maiden, Michael W. Smith, Pink Floyd, Petra, Stryper, Rez Band. Staind, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Green Day 
and Collective Soul.


When did you first begin to get into music? When did know you wanted to take it to a professional level?
DavidWhen I was young I was in a group called CMI founded by Thurlow Spurr which is a Gospel Legend  "In this instance, "legendary" is the perfect word to describe Thurlow Spurr. Because when one person can lay claim to a resume of producing and directing over 20,000 live shows in 50 years; the production of over 100 audio and video recordings and command performances for four U.S. Presidents, it becomes quite clear the incredible 
impact Thurlow Spurr has made on the gospel music industry." Which is taken from his Biography that can be found here at  http://www.thurlowspurr.com/biography.html
I was a child soloist and performed Neil Diamonds "Coming To America" and many other songs as we performed to sold out venues such as The Fox Theater in Detroit Michigan, The Masonic Temple in Toledo, Ohio, The Pioneer High school in Ann Arbor, Michigan and The Whiting Auditorium in Flint, Mi.

When did know you wanted to take it to a professional level? 

David: I was in a band called "33ad" in Atlanta, Ga. Which set me in front of huge crowds and landed us at a festival Six Flags Over Georgia where I rubbed elbows and opened up for many great bands including but not limiting: New song, Audio Adrenalin, Out Of The Grey, Anointed, Jaci Velasquez, Michael English, Carmen and one of my huge influences Petra. We also opened for Skillet on many occasions in 1997-98. This all set the stage for future success in music with all the great connections I had made. But I would have to say the time I spent with Bill Turpin the father of Will Turpin " Collective Soul" proved to be a major learning experience in writing that 
helped me mold my craft and for that I am forever grateful!! He spent time marking up my lyrics with a red pen and then showed me a bit of the ropes. But I must say that if it was not for my Lord And Savior Jesus Christ 
none of this would have been possible. So God made a way for me in Music and I knew at that point I wanted to do nothing more than be a professional musician.


Where does the core of your love for music come from?

David:My core love of music comes from the inside center of my soul, it is something not learned but felt and true. It comes from pure honesty within my pain, love, fear and power over fear.

Has there been any life changing experiences that have helped mold you into the artist you are today? 

David: Yes there have been many experiences that have molded me into the person and songwriter I am. I have lost two brothers, been through two marriages and now happy as ever with my wife and two step Children. I over came a drug addiction that nearly took my life and have written about all of it.

Talk about your current music project. How did it start?  

David: Finished working with a producer named Marshall Block from Fenton Michigan. We recorded my first single for my  5 track CD David Perez "The Jerusalem Project" It was a dream come true to work with 
Marshall Block as he is not only a great producer that has been involved with Grammy winning productions but also works with some of the best in the business. It was a magical session which included the song I wrote 
"Angel My Love" and David Winans 11,  from the Legendary Gospel Family "The Winans", Marq Andrew Speck from the 11 time Detroit Music Award winning band "Sweet Crystal" and awesome support of my wife,I  and kids. This recording stirred the pot and gave me the credibility that I needed to move forward as a serious solo artist on the rise!! 

And what inspired the music behind the title?

The Title "The Jerusalem Project" comes from the belief that Jerusalem is the center of where Christianity was started. This is a deep Gospel/Rock project that is deep from the heart of my soul searching and belief in God. It seemed fitting that I tied that in with where it is said to have begun.


What has been the fan response thus far from it?

David: As I play my music out I always seem to get a great response, The Industry seems to ignore it and as far as fans I am still trying to build that fan base. I have not heard to many negative responses thus far but have had some haters on the Christian music because of beliefs. I never shove my beliefs toward anyone though. I'm about Love and Peace and letting others make their own choice, not my place. I have always had great response to my material with Livid and my band from Atlanta, GA. in 98 had a great following. So I would conclude that my fan response has been fairly positive.

Do you have any upcoming shows in the works? Yes

If so where and when?
David: Jim Oliver's Smokehouse 
Saturday, July  @ 6:30 PM Jim Oliver's Smokehouse, 850 W Main St, Monteagle
with Nolan Neal Singer Songwriter Round

Jim Oliver's Smokehouse 
Saturday, August 1 @ 6:30 PM Jim Oliver's Smokehouse, 850 W Main St, Monteagle
Singer Songwriter Round

St-Johns-Mint-Fest
Sunday, August 16 @ 1:30 PM St. Johns City Park / Clinton County Fairground, 100 E. State Street Ste. G-100 Saint Johns, MI 48879, St Johns Celebrate over 100 years of mint farming in Clinton County with arts & crafts, a flea market, food concessions, a parade, five sports tournaments, mint farm tours, free entertainment and new & old cars. A highlight of the festival is activities for kids including Kids World all weekend long and Kids Day on Sunday with exotic animals, games & contestall for 25 each. Call the Chamber for more details at (989) 224-7248.

Jim Oliver's Smokehouse 
Saturday, August 22 @ 6:30 PM Jim Oliver's Smokehouse, 850 W Main St, Monteagle
Singer Songwriter Round

Commodore-grille
David Perez Singer Songwriter Round at The Commodore Grille
Monday, August 24 @ 9:30 PM The Commodore Grille, 2613 West End Ave , Nashville, TN 37203

How can people keep in touch of you and you music online?

David: You can check out the following links on facebook, twitter,reverbnation, my webpage, Soundcloud, youtube, Instagram, Myspace and at my record label webpage tatemusicgroup.com

Any last words before we end the interview?

David: I just wanted to thank Indie Ville TV for inviting me to your fantastic show. Lizzie Miller thank you for believing in my music and making this possible along with Curtis. I have a new album that I am working on writing right now that will be more towards my Rock roots and it will be worth the wait for sure!! God Bless you all and Peace and Love always. You can always email me at davidperezofficial@gmail.com and if you would like me to do an acoustic or full band concert let me know and we can talk. Thank you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment