Thursday, September 15, 2016

Indie Ville TV #118 Karianne Jean: Carrying the Torch

Written by Alexis Chateau

                                                         
Karianne doesn’t remember ever making a conscious decision to become a musician. In fact, the dream first took root in her mother, who after setting it aside to enjoy married life and raise a family, passed the torch onto her daughter.

“My mom says she has videos of me singing before I was talking,” Karianne Jean says, while laughing. “I don’t know how true that is.”

For years, Karianne’s musical journey mostly involved her role as a vocalist. However, over the past four years, she began to take a more active interest in learning to play the keyboard, and the guitar. “Instruments make it easier to write music,” she shares, adding that it’s also much easier to come up with melodies when you have a guitar on hand.

Other influences on Karianne’s writing process include her relationships – both past and
present. Though she was happy to find a man who was supportive, and with whom she had
an easy and natural connection, Karianne jokingly admits she often worried about how on
earth she would come up with new content for her music.

“I had never really written a real love song until I met [him],” she says. In the past, she felt
like a real magnetic for toxic relationships; that though bad, made for pretty good writing
material.

Now, she finds herself getting more inspiration from other places. “I get it from everything,”
she says. “My writer-ears are always perked up, and [I’m] always ready to write something
down. My phone is full of grocery lists and song titles. If you go through my phone right
now, you would see ‘ketchup, pickles… Forever’.”

Karianne’s knack for turning experiences – good and bad – into catchy tunes, has earned
her shows around Georgia, Kentucky, and Tennessee. She also recently made it onto
Pandora, and iHeartRadio. Still, she’s working towards getting more conventional radio
airplay soon.

“I think that’s everybody’s dream: to hear themselves on the radio,” she points out. “I would
love to gain enough traction to have a charting single, and get the airplay, and have the
recognition.”

In the meantime, Karianne Jean is taking it all in stride and working on new projects. “I just
released my EP, July 29. Before I even had it out, I was already thinking about the next
thing,” she admits.

Karianne is open to booking new shows around the U.S., and hopes to catch the eyes of a
record label, sooner rather than later.

Check out her website at www.kariannejean.com for info on upcoming tour dates, and recent projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment