Thursday, May 21, 2015

Indie Ville TV #40 The Fantastic Erisa Rei


 Written by Curtis Gardner                                          






What was your first introduction to music? What about it made you wanna pursue this art?

As far as doing music myself, the public school I went to from K-3 had a choir. From 4th grade on I went to a private Christian school, where I played trumpet for one year and then percussion from 5th grade on.  There also was a yearly school musical.  I didn’t think I was a good singer until I was 16.  I started singing at church teen meetings.  Once I reached college, I received a scholarship for music and did music groups there.  I think it was there that I really developed a love for singing.  Previously I had been focused on making a career in dance.
How long have you been doing music?
I’ve been doing music professionally since 2004. 
Who were your inspirations growing up and who inspires you now?
Growing up, I would watch Crystal Gayle on the TV screen and wish I had her long, beautiful hair.  Then when I was in grade school, Amy Grant, came out with her Unguarded album.  We had a tape of it.  I wore the insert out reading the lyrics.  I also would create dances to the songs! 
As I grew older, I listened to a lot of Celtic & Classical music, as well as Mariah Carey.  I’m a big fan of Yolanda Adams, and Sarah Kelly.  Now, I’m inspired by U2, Queen, & JJ Grey.  I really like Taylor Swift’s new album.  I’m kind of everywhere in my tastes.
How would you describe your music to a potential new fan?
My lyrics are always heartfelt and honest.  My sound varies sometimes, but there is always a bit of blues influence.  My voice has a lot of soul in it.
Where do you draw the most motivation from when writing your music? Is it your personal life or others around you?
I’m not the type of writer who can usually just sit down and decide that I’m going to write a song.  I have to be inspired by something.  I wish it were the other way, as I’d be a more prolific writer.  As far as inspirations go, I don’t normally take one specific instance and write about it.  I will usually correlate a few different instances that have a connecting theme and write about it.  This way my writing is more general and not about one specific person in general.  There is one person I write about specifically, and that is my husband…. Love songs!
You hosted the Indie Ville awards on Sunday. What was that like for you?
That was a lot of fun!  I enjoyed dressing up, as I don’t get to do that very often being a mother of 5 kids. It was also nice to be able to present with the CEO of the label I’m signed to, Creative & Dreams. 
What can Nashville expect from you for the year of 2015?
I’m in the creating mode, so I won’t be playing very often this year.  With such a large family, and doing so much of my own booking, promotion, etc., I have to separate it in order to create. 
Any new project(s) in the works?
There is always something in the works! I would love to release something soon, but nothing I’ve created feels quite right or at least not complete.  I have portions of projects.  Things are becoming clearer though, so hopefully something in 2016.
What other endeavors would you like to pursue outside of music?
I want to live in the country again on some acreage, have an orchard, berry bushes, a barn and some chickens and goats.  I’m very much a country girl at heart.
How can fans find you online?
I’m on most social networks. 

Any last words or shout outs? 
I would like to thank my family for putting up with my crazy schedule, and the label, Creative & Dreams Music Network, for teaching me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment