Friday, May 22, 2015

Indie Ville TV #41 Mark Allee: The Drum Leviathan

Written by Nikki B

                                                                                                 
The title says it all and more because, Drummer Mark Allee's talent and performance ability is nothing short of the most enjoyable and explosive of its kind. His exuberance and versatility in his craft is obvious, but the less obvious character attribute is his selflessness and understanding of the way that he does his business...and it is paying off big time for him so far! Mr. Mark Allee is an extremely accomplished musician, graduating from the Musician's Institute in California and has traveled around the nation working with many different celebrities across genres, and yet he still finds time to be a music instructor to rising musicians of all ages ranging from 5 to 85. Mark found some time to explain his story, where he started, where he is today, and where he expects to be in the near future.

Nikki B: So to get this started, Where do you call home? When did you begin playing the drums?

Mark Allee: I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. I led a pretty normal childhood and stayed there until around 2006 then I moved to L.A. I started out playing the guitar but moved over to the drums when I was about 19 years old.

Nikki B: What would you say is the key to growth in the music business? Personally, what has caused the greatest growth in your career thus far?

Mark Allee: Ok so soon after I moved to Los Angeles, I noticed some trends, took part in them, and I decided that the Musicians Institute was my next step. I had the unique opportunity to dedicate all my time to attending music school and because of that, I found out that the key to growth in this business was through networking and uplifting others. This was life changing for me because of all the wonderful people I was able to meet, and I felt myself grow as a musician as well. I found out that the art of networking is the most important tool...besides learning and mastering your instrument, of course.

Nikki B: Of course. So, Tell me about some of your affiliations? What companies or other musicians have you had the chance to work with?

Mark Allee: Well I got the chance to work as a representative for Soultone Cymbals and have been affiliated with them since 2010. I have worked with many different companies and other artists as well. After I graduated, I went to New York city to work with the Blue Man group. After that I came back to California and got the chance to take part in the children's television project in a band named The Shushybye's. I got the chance to meet and display my talents to a variety of different well known celebrities during that process. Soon after that though, I got a chance to be a contestant on a reality show called 'The Next Great Drummer' and then had the awesome opportunity to be the co-producer of the show and I am still affiliated with it to this day. But currently, I am dedicated wholeheartedly and actively on the road promoting and performing with this awesome band called, Trig County.

Nikki B: You mentioned being an instructor...What led you down that course?

Mark Allee:  Well the experience of giving back in that way is great, first. I have taught kids as young as 5 years old on up to adults. I got the opportunity to teach special needs children, which really helped mold me further as an artist and instructor, but the experience was awesome. I also provided lessons for celebrity's kids, so I've had a variety of teaching experiences, all the while, I was growing as a musician myself.

Nikki B: What musician(s) influenced you the most so far?

Mark Allee: Early on it was classic rock like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, RUSH... My styles range. My country influences are The Zac Brown Band, Jason Aldean, and Brad Paisley. I've been influenced by bands and musicians like Tower of Power, Michael Jackson, Huey Lewis and the news, and the Meters as well.

Nikki B: If an up and coming musician approached you and asked for real life music business advice that will surely take them far, what would you tell them?

Mark Allee: Learn your craft. Be creative. You're a bad azz until proven otherwise in my book!  Your success will be with thinking about others. Stop thinking only about me, me, me...rather, think about what you can do for your project and what you can do for others. Know what you offer and be confident with it. Meet as many musicians and people as possible. Then nurture each relationship. That is exactly what it is all about. I did get the opportunity to watch Mr. Mark Allee perform and he is a very passionate, expressive, and a highly talented musician. He looks like he feels the music and becomes apart of it. His movement and sound grabs hold of you and you can't take your eyes off of him throughout the performance. Thank you Mark for the interview! To get more information on Mark Allee and his upcoming endeavors and projects check out the links below. Do not forget to

Click, Like, Share and Follow!
facebook.com/markalleemusic
facebook.com/markalleedrummer
facebook.com/mcnaymusicgroup
facebook.com/trigcounty

No comments:

Post a Comment