Saturday, May 23, 2015

Indie Ville TV #42 The Incredible Flawless Pursuit

Written by Nikki B.                                                       


Flawless pursuit is the Indie Ville TV 2015 Rock Band of the Year! Congratulations guys. You all are so very inspiring and possess a mission that is motivated not only by the music but also by a power that is beyond all of us. I had the opportunity to speak with Ryan (vocalist) and Dustin (Drummer) to  talk about  where they came from and how they channel their positive messages and translates them so seamlessly into vibrations that touch and inspire so many.

Nikki B: Where did you all get your start? Where do you call home?

Ryan: I grew up in New Hampshire and actually started playing the saxophone in Junior high. I always dreamed about being on stage but it seemed far­fetched to me but it was always in the back of my mind. I did however tryout for an a cappella group early on while in school in New York but I still always dreamt of the performing live on stage. It wasn't until 2011 when I actually joined a band as a vocalist and I have loved it ever since.

Dustin: Well I grew up in Tupelo, MS which is a really small town but it is the home of Elvis. I remember being inspired early on while I was in church and a rock band came out and performed. All I can remember is the drums and how the music moved me. It was so much passion. I used to be the kid banging on the drums and playing air guitar ya know. So, it was in me. I begin playing the drums at 14 years old and I actually moved to Nashville when I was 18 to join a band...and the rest is history.

Nikki B: So inspiring! So, What were your influences? What is your mission with your music?

Ryan: In some cases, I will get up and speak a message or Dustin will stand and speak a message during a performance and we try to relay the message by showing people that there is a God and there is love out there. Many times we have 3 to 4 people approach us after a show, wanting to pray with us or talk to us about what is going on with them. This is what is important to us. This is what we do it all for.

Dustin: My mission for the music is to respect Christ and show everyone that there is a purpose in life. We want to show that there is love and we want to help as many people as we can as much as we can.

Nikki B: Tell me about your original songs...Are they collaborations?

Ryan: Usually it starts with Trey or Jordan…they may have a guitar riff they want to use or our producer has something that he thinks would fit us..but sometimes its organic because we may unintentionally play something and it will work for us. That is why we can still play with metal bands and other bands while still remaining true to our messages.

Nikki B: Give me some examples of musicians that inspired you?

Ryan: My musical inspirations are very wide. When I was younger I was a huge Michael Jackson fan. I loved the way he entertained people. I love to entertain because I love to see people smile. Then it was a time that all I listened to was rap music and Eminem was an inspiration because I felt that if this guy could do something so out of the norm for his genre and make it work, then anyone could do anything. But then I look at people like Taylor Swift and I look at how she is as a person. If someone is going to make me their role model, I want them to look up to the real me…the person that knows that there is peace and love in the world. I don’t want to be a part of the evil and hatred and I want that to be apparent in the way I act, the way I treat others, and apparent through my music.

Nikki B: In your opinion, what makes a musician a legend?

Ryan:  Well I believe that it goes beyond their craft or how well they do something. Its how much passion they can put into what they are doing. To have the ability to use that raw emotion they have inside, that passion, and to be able to convey it in a way so that everyone can understand what they are saying or what they are doing. It is that passion, that fire within them, that makes them a legend. Learning something from someone through their music.

Nikki B: What advice would you give to an upcoming musician that wants to know how to make it in a genre going against what is considered to be the norm...How would you inspire them?

Ryan: Being able to go onstage and put your entire heart into what you are doing no matter what negatives you encounter, if you put your heart into it you can achieve your goals. You will start somewhere. I used to have terrible stage fright but my passion, drive, and love for what I do and for God just keeps me going back onto that stage wanting to deliver that message. Believe in what you are doing because if you don’t, then no one will.

Thank you Ryan and Dustin of Flawless Pursuit for a wonderful and very inspiring interview.  To find out more information about Flawless Pursuit and support them please click, like, and share the following links!!
facebook.com/flawlesspursuit
reverbnation.com/flawlesspursuit

No comments:

Post a Comment