Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Indie Ville TV #43 Josh Winton And His #Digital Asylum

Written by- K.L. Graham

Josh Winton born in 1979, and living in Manchester Tennessee is an artist. His main weapon of artistic of choice is photo shop, but he also is passionate about his work as a tattoo artist, and being a father. 

When I asked him what would he say if his five year old daughter asked him “What is art?”  He replied  with:

“I would tell her it’s anything that expresses what she enjoys and the real talent she has…Basically just creating something that’s beautiful that you just love. It can be dark or lighter, something that expresses how you feel about things.”

For Winton, the art is always darker. When I probed for deeper meaning in his dark art, he said that in high school he just liked wearing black, and when he started “doing photos” he just strived for that. Dark, just like how he liked it. 

At first, Winton was a little hesitant about divulging his major influences, but with some gentle pressuring, I finally got that an artist he looks up to is Chad Michael Ward, his favorite cult films are Hell Raiser, Evil Dead, and Silent Hill but most of his artistic ideas revolve around the tattoo world.

“I like the dark images, demons and monsters and things with a lot of detail that bring out light.  I really like portraits. Comic book tattoos are something I’d really like to get into. I always read comics when I was younger. I have a ninja mutant turtle tattoo on the back of my leg. Leonardo and Donatello.”

And speaking of comics, besides his interesting Batman variation, one of my favorite of Winton’s pieces is the Lady in the Crown of Thorns. “That one is about the idea of religion and the blood that’s been spilt.” Winton doesn’t believe in making other’s swallow their beliefs, and this is about the dark side to a traditionally religious image, with just a hint of sexy demon eyes.

Winton’s work is raising even our eyebrows. On his recent success as 2015  Indie ville’s TV Awards Best Artist of the year Josh exclaimed that “It was pretty awesome I didn’t expect that.” To Josh, his ultimate dream is to just make money off his art, as I’m sure you Indie ville  TV readers can relate to. And as for advice: the artist says “Just keep practicing, get involved with everybody and what they do. You’re able to teach yourself. I’ve taught myself. Pay close attention to the details. You will eventually evolve into a better artist.”

To find out what a great artist Josh has evolved into, you can find more of his work on Model Mayhem, his favorite haunt of choice: Facebook and you can buy his self published collection of artwork online just  #Digital Asylum. And remember all you young artists out there, “the devil is in the details.”
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment