Sunday, April 24, 2016

Indie Ville TV #90 Cameron McCasland Taking on the Horror Genre with “Tailypo”

Written by K.L. Graham
                                                                       
Tailypo brought Cameron’s favorite crew back together. He says:

“My favorite part of it was I got a lot of friends on this movie. I did a feature length called “The Last Man” before with Josh Ickas, DP Kyle Kelly and David Chatham. He was so great in it. It gave me a reason to get the gang back together and get another go at it.”

With two films at The Nashville Film Festival, “What’s the matter with Gerald?” and HP Lovecraft’s “The Beast in the Cave.” “Other than that…” McCasland says: “I’m just working on some music videos and doing some writing.  Winter; everything slows down and in the summer things start to pick up again.”

Keeping busy and fulfilling his dream is important to McCasland, he says like any great director “I like building worlds and being able to play god, giving someone a place to be telling them what they can and can’t do.” 

When asked if he is happy where the film scene in Nashville is going, Cameron says:

“I am. It’s funny because I’ve been here since 2001 I feel like even 5 or 6 years ago only a couple of other people were making movies…There are a bunch of great people coming in but also a lot of great self starters. There’s a lot of people making movies here, ABC’s  Nashville keeps a lot of people fed and when those guys aren’t working on the big shows, they’re out making indie things.”

As for what made him want to make movies. The director explains: “Well it’s funny because I can’t really place a real lightening strike moment in my life. My mom was an actress so I had an idea of what it could be because she did plays and was on tv a little bit…it wasn’t until I got into college. Around 1999 I had a dvd player in my room with commentaries and documentaries I really started studying movies. I used to play in bands and stuff like that and one day I decided I wanted to make movies instead of riding around the dessert with a bunch of sweaty guys. Overnight success is someone who has been working and working and working and I feel like the past years I’ve been really pushing myself to do more.”

“Tailypo” originated from McCasland’s childhood and early work.

“Specifically this movie was a story I heard when I was a little kid. It was one of the first things I can 
recall really scaring me. I didn’t have a place to really put it. When I did the other horror movie I built in a lot of contacts etc. I thought this was the one and I kinda did it backwards.  I made a feature film, then short film. I also had the means to find the place and the setting time period wise. Horror in general, it’s something I’ve always enjoyed. I like the enjoy adrenaline of it. Human fears…you can learn a lot about a person by what scares them.  Used to give me nightmares when I was a little kid and exercising those demons.”

To find out more about the film and other works of Cameron’s go to: Cameronmccasland.com and 
Facebook.com/tailypoterror.

No comments:

Post a Comment