Saturday, May 14, 2016

Indie Ville TV # 93 Toran Turan-Changing the Face of Fashion

Written by K.L. Graham                                  

                                                                   


Toran (pronounced Too-Ran) Turan is Nashville’s new favorite model. Rockin’ runways and photo shoots alike, just by being himself, he’s helping to change the face of the Nashville fashion scene.

I asked Toran some of the challenges of being a male model and his reply was eye opening. “Well, like, you only see female casting calls normally so I created my brand to be a unisex model. I can wear guy clothes or girl’s clothes.

He then told the story of how “I went to a female only pinup shoot and Kevin got to me and I was the
only guy there.” Toran says that “…being a unisex model is a great opportunity for me. I can do anything in any form for fashion.”

For Toran, fashion in itself is a form of freedom.

“The only way I chose to model was because I needed a gateway to get out of my anxiety. “ Turan has done lots of charity fashion events including Ribbons to Romance charity fashion how, Beauty and Brains and MTSU Sazoir Faire. “I wasn’t nervous anymore. I don’t do it for fun, I do it for my inner sense, as a human being.”

“I love giving back to my community. I love to work with Nossi. One of their pictures might go viral.
There are great opportunities for the both of us (the students as well) and I just love giving back.”

Toran’s beauty in his face, body, and amazingly put together outfits is apparent, but it’s in soft almost
Southern Preacher voice, and his confidence in his hard work that makes him most endearing. Toran’s
humble spirit only enhances his outward faboulousness.

“I grew up the black-sheep. I felt like the ugly duckling. If you put ‘heart work,’ not hard work but ‘heart work.’ That’s a sign from God you can do your things. I do it for the kids. They can do anything they put their ‘heart work’ into. I’m just grateful ,I’m grateful.”

Toran doesn’t brag about trying to make a huge change in the world or even in the fashion scene, he just lives his truth in a way that inspires no matter what lenses you look too.

Even his own clothes and looks are put together with his own brand that he has designed and created
himself. Named “DeNovo” he says it means “A new beginning again” kinda like a phoenix as far as
clothes. Goodwill jeans to a crop top, a pencil skirt. Taking those things and revamping them. Earth
friendly things.”

Not only does he scour Goodwill for finds and earth friendly creations, Toran’s DIY spirit also has
launched his own website: www.toranunlimited.com
He auditioned for America’s Next Top Model Recently. “I auditioned and I drove all the way to
Montgomery Alabama in the pouring rain. MY mama was a nervous wreck. I didn’t make cycle 21 but I'm-ma try again. I just have to dust myself off and try it again.”

“My audition tape, I played 3 parts of myself.”

Toran is not only at home with who he is, but as a born and raised Nashvillian he’s quite at home in the Nashville fashion scene. On where fashion in Nashville is going he says:

“I feel like big things are about to happen. Nashville is finally getting recognized here. I’ve seen the
changes. We’re going to be like a metropolitan soon. I’m from Nashville born and raised. I’m trying to
represent Nashville to the best of my ability…I’m a jack of all trades when it comes to the fashion
scene.”

Toran hasn’t always felt so at home though, he says “I grew up being pushed away” and he took the
time to thank Indieville “I just want to thank you for taking out the time. I just want you to know that I’m just grateful.”

So are we Toran, so are we.

To see more of Toran’s amazing photos and keep up with what he’s doing check him out at

No comments:

Post a Comment