Saturday, July 2, 2016

Indie Ville TV #105 The Extraordinary Cory Taylor Cox

Written by Lilian Ogbuefi

                                                               

Cory Taylor Cox is an indie rock and roll musician who, originally from North Mississippi, moved to Nashville to work in the music industry by day, as a result of the rewarding opportunities the
Music city has proven to offer. His initial decision to go into music stemmed from the connection it seemed to provide him with, to the past, his friends, family, and the community at large. In Cory’s own words, “Music connects my heart to my vocal chords; it moves blood to my fingertips, keeps me upright and moving forward.

Like most other musicians, he has a source of inspiration, his, however, is everyday life. Cory is
a firm believer that everybody, irrespective of their background, has a story to tell and it’s the
beauty of these stories, good or bad, and their versatility that inspires Cory’s art. When asked
about his creative process, he maintained that he does not utilize the services of ghost writers.
Every song from the stable of Cory Taylor Cox is either written independently, with his band, or with
friends. This goes to solidify his claim that, everyday life with its day to day interactions is
indeed his source of inspiration.

The journey for Cory so far, may have been challenging, yet, the path is not one he would
change for anything. He maintains the importance of his experiences and the people he has met,
stating that even when decisions were confusing, frustrating, or uncertain, he was always where
he was supposed to be at the right time, thus, “the journey is everything and we're still rolling”. 
Cory’s gravitation towards rock and indie roll music was more as a result of environmental
influence, however, he tries not to let genre restrict him. He’s more focused on pursuing the
evolution of music rather than looking for the chance to change his genre. He remains extremely
close to his family, who are supportive and understanding of the demands of being a musician,
“They're the best, my parents were at my show last weekend and my brother-in- law was one of
the first to pre-order the new record.”

When asked which celebrity he would like to reborn as, Corey responded, “I don't want to be
anybody but me. So I'd be reborn as me, but maybe in a different decade, so I could experience
being a musician during a different time, different technology, when life and music were simpler.
Maybe in the 50's so I could fall in with the Rat Pack, or 60's in Greenwich Village, or the 70's to be  a part of CBGB. But honestly I hope I don't have some twilight zone experience and
that really happens, I'd miss my dog too much.”

On the 13th of May 2016, Cory released his third studio album titled “Extended Play”, the Vinyl
version of which should be ready this fall. Besides that, he says “Make music. Make music with
friends, have fun, be nice, be cool and at tacos”. You can keep up with Cory’s progress on

No comments:

Post a Comment