Thursday, March 19, 2015

Indie Ville TV #32 Male Artist of the Year Nominee Ryan Weaver

Written by Curtis Gardner                                           


What were your early memories of country music? What attracted you to it?
I grew up listening to classic rock and 80's rock, and I really didn't start listening to country music until Garth Brooks came on the scene. I began listening more and more in the early 90's, though I still had and will always have an eclectic taste in music. Not to sound like a cliche, but country music's story telling is what I really enjoy about it most.

Who were your musical influences? Garth Brooks, Hank Williams Jr, Travis Tritt, Jeffrey Steele.

When did you know you wanted to pursue country music seriously? I started writing in 2003 in Iraq, but I really didn't start thinking about actively pursuing a career in the industry until after I returned home. My brother, CW2 Aaron Weaver, was killed in action on January 8th 2004, and I truly realized that life was too short to not chase a dream doing something I love. I returned home to his funeral and that was the spark.

How has your military experience influenced your music if at all? There are so many influences that play a role in the kind of music I like to write, sing and perform. Though I do have military themed parts of my show, I like to think that having a wide range of subject matter in my music is extremely important to be a successful artist in mainstream country music. My experiences in the military have helped me keep the discipline needed to be successful, no doubt. I'm not the artist you'll read about that wasted a label or investor's time and money by losing focus. 

How would you describe your style to a new listener? I'm a huge fan of both country and 80's rock. I would say all-American rockin country or country music infused with 80's rock.

What has been your proudest or most successful moment thus far as an artist? Performing at the Ryman Auditorium for the first time as an opener for Charlie Daniels, Phil Vassar, Andy Griggs, Ty Herndon, Jamie O'neal and The Roys on November 24th this past year. Indescribable.

What motivates or inspires you when recording music in the studio? I love seeing a song go from the writer's room to a final product. I have had the opportunity to work with some amazing people in Nashville who have given me a chance to do things that most people dream about. I'm motivated by the desire to put out the best product possible in return for the chances they have given me. I'm inspired by knowing I have the freedom to express myself through music in the way I want to. 

"Crank It" and "New Set of Tires" have been big hits for you. Talk about the writing process for these tracks. Crank It was the first song I ever co-wrote in Nashville with Kevin Ray(formerly from Hot Apple Pie) and Brian Eckert. The write actually took two different trips up from Alabama where I was stationed on active duty at the time. I wanted something rockin that talked about the kind of woman I am attracted to... We came out with a song that fit my personality and we released it as my first single and music video.

    New Set of Tires is written by Jeffrey Steele and Bob Dipiero. I can't claim any writing on that one. Jeffrey Steele played it for me when we first recorded in his studio back in 2006. I loved it and was happy he gave it to me to record.

How surprised were you that these songs got big so fast? Crank It initially came out when Jason Aldean's album with like-sounding music was huge. Country music listeners and my fans really gravitated toward it. It wasn't until we put out a fan-funded music video did we see some huge progression in the song's success. The video shows my sense of humor and TNN(not The Heartland Network) and ZUUS Country were both incredibly generous with the number of spins the video received. I used one of the most reputable video promotion companies in town (AristoMedia), and I was hoping the video would see some success, but it took off for an indie video.

    New Set of Tires is just a fun, great song.  It didn't hurt at all that Dale Jr won the Daytona 500 right when we released the song.

What's next for Ryan Weaver for this 2015 year and beyond? I recently began working with
Charlie Daniels' manager David Corlew, and things have really ramped up since then. I'm looking forward to CMA Fest and then on to August 12th where I'll get to perform at the Volunteer Jam at Bridgestone Arena. We've also got my newest single done and planning its release soon. So many things are happening all at once and I can't tell you how excited I am that the hard work is really paying off.

How can people keep in touch with you and your music? My website is www.weavercountry.com, FB www.facebook.com/ryanweavercountry, Reverberation www.reverbnation.com/ryanweaver, Youtube www.youtube.com/weavercountry

Any final words or shout outs? Wanted to send a special shout out to the Weaver Country Army for all of your support over the years. Be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment