Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Indie Ville TV #34 One Drop Ink Elisheba Israel

Written by Curtis Gardner                             


             

How did you get into to the art of doing tattoos? How long have you been doing them?


A- I was not interested in tattoos and tattoo art really at all nor did I have any tattoo at all until about 4 years ago. I'm from Memphis and no one I knew had good ink. They had crap hood and jail tats. I have always been a fine artist so that type of tattoo did not pique my interest at all. Then, someone posted an image on Facebook of a tattoo by Dmitriy Samohin. That's when I knew this was something I needed to be a part  of.  I have been tattooing for 4 years 


I assume you have tattoos of your own. If so how many?

I do. A lot of my pieces are in progress. Simply because I'm always doing the tattooing! lol I have about 9 big pieces so far with plans for many more. 


What are some of your favorite tattoos that you have done so far?
Tough question. I am in love with my growth as an artist of late and as I only do custom original work, I'm really feeling my work this last year.  I did a captain American piece that I am super happy with, a star wars piece that involves a ball gag  and I'm working on a crazy fun Alice in Wonderland on drugs sleeve as well. I love my black pinups that I'm getting to get to do more of.  I still have a lot to learn and I continue to focus on improving my technique.


When did you realize you could turn that passion into a business?

Well I've always known since I was a child that I was going to be a professional artist. I would have never guessed it would be in tattoo. I originally wanted to do video game design. I'm a gamer at heart. I went to Japan as a foreign exchange student in high school and that solidified my love for games and anime and throttled me full on into my style of art.  I have been a full time fine artist since 2008. Let me tell you that supporting yourself as a fine artist is no easy feat. Even harder as a single mom. Once I got into tattooing I was flat broke as I had to learn and get good before I could make any money. It didn't help that the people who were supposed to apprentice me turned out to be crooked. I found a wonderful lady named Denise who helped me finish my apprenticeship,opened my shop,  put my money into learning materials and classes to get advanced techniques and the rest is history. 



For someone who is getting their first tattoo what tips would you give them to follow?

First off, really think about your design. Even if its small and quick, talk to your artist about it. A good artist can give you insight into your piece and help you design something unique for you and not just from Google.  Secondly, EAT! Your body needs fuel. Finally, zen out and enjoy the moment. Ask for music if you didn't bring any. Remember, after the pain comes the body art you have for life.

How does it feel to be nominated for Tattoo Artist of the Year?

It feels phenomenal. I had no idea about it til I got the email.I'm flattered and honored that someone loves my work enough to nominate me. I honestly tattoo because I love it and because I think everyone should have access to quality art and be able to afford it.

Other than being a tattoo artist, what are your other hobbies and interests? IS there anything else you would like to venture into?

I love a little of everything to be honest. I like to find the unique things the world has to offer and try to go do them. Everything from hiking and canoeing to swing dancing. I also love spending time with my daughter and taking her to explore new things. We stayed on an Amish Farm for Christmas one year. It was  crazy but  great time. I eventually want to open other shops and other types of businesses like a restaurant and music venue. Thats further down the line but my main focus will always be art.


What plans do you have for 2015 and beyond to further grow your tattoo artistry?

Oh this year has already been busy but its just going to get busier! I'm about to leave for an artist retreat this weekend. I got invited to join a band on their tour bus to go to Stagecoach Festival in California in April. Hoping to do some tattooing on them there. I have several conventions to go to this year: Louisville and  Chattanooga in May, Austin, Texas in June and a guest spot in Austin in June also, and New York City in July.  I'd like to do more conventions year round eventually but being a full time mom makes my travel time limited to the summer months and school holidays. Im taking more seminars and classes this year to learn and tighten my skills and Im just really trying to get out there and meet other artists. Even though I have been wronged in the past by other tattoo artists here I do not feel like that should stop me from being nice. I will never be unapproachable, nasty or big headed no matter where my career takes me. Nor will I ever try to hold any other artist down. I've plans to do so much more but they are to many to list here.


How can everyone keep track of you and your movement online?


There are many ways! You can see travel dates here. I am currently working on a site where you can see my availability and book online. I'm usually booked up a couple months in advance.


Any last words or shout-outs to anyone? 

 I want to give a special shout-out to Denise. Without her I would not have been able to finish my apprenticeship and get my license. Her help allowed me to become the artist I am today. I also want to shout-out Olskool and Joe, the other 2 artists at my shop for sticking with me to make the dream team. Shout-out to Sir Stonie and Arielle the front desk pit crew. I'd also like to shout-out my daughter, Kasumi, for whom which I have the desire to work my butt off for. To Aaron, for listening to my endless rambles about my art and dreams every day. Finally a huge shout-out to ALL of my customers, clients, friends, and supporters!! Without you letting me stab you millions of times each day, I couldn't be here :D
My website:  www.elishebaink.com 
My Personal Facebook: www.facebook.com/elishebaink 

No comments:

Post a Comment