Monday, March 13, 2017

Indie Ville TV #126 LaQuita James -Nominated for Actress of year

Written by  K.L. Graham

                                                                                                 
"I'm from a small town in west Tennessee called Decaturville." Ms. James' voice carefully lilts on the other end of the phone.

Her gentle but sharp vocal cadence has landed her numerous voice over gigs.

"I think once I started doing the voice over work it made me a better actor."

LaQuita says and that the more she booked voice over work, it led her to more acting roles.

"I just started booking," she says, adding "It's (voice overs) advanced me in terms of character development." 

Her voice, combined with her beautiful and relatable looks combined with her ability to play feisty characters has garnered her roles on "Nashville" and "Still the King."

"My role on Nashville, I was an administrative assistant in a hospital and I was on 'Still The King' last August at a pool and spa depot."

Both characters are sassy office workers.  Laughing she says "I play a diva on tv, but I'm not one in real life."

In real life, LaQuita is a kind hearted, passionate, hard working actress.

She laughs saying "I don't sleep." Between her voice over work and acting roles, it's no wonder she doesn't have as much time for z's.

Ms. James also produces and stars on the web series "Three's a Pain."

"Right now we're about to start filming Season 2 and 3 of "Three's a Pain."

The comedy is centered around LaQuita's starring character Regina Williams and her two roommates. A modern day "Three's Company" if you will but with its own unique story. 

The comedy stars LaQuita James, Donnie Clark, and David Ditmore.

"It's my house we all live in. Don Clark's character comes in the middle. It's about us trying to cohabit without killing each other."

The show is a recipe for hilarity, but it's LaQuita's vision for a better, more well represented work in Hollywood and even regionally led her to create "Three's a Pain."

"For me especially, it is hard being a woman of color in the industry.  People don't necessarily see us as leads but as funny supporting roles. But I say 'Why not?' 'Why not let us be the leads?' So I said 'Let's write something." 

On both her own work on "Three's A Pain" and the last few years of the Oscars she says:

"Hopefully we see more work and opportunity."

Passionate and hopeful Ms. James' says "We still have work to do. The tides are changing. Let's make it inclusive; Let's not eliminate the possibility of minority."

After all, she reminds us, "Nashville is a huge melting pot." 

Not only that,  Ms. James says "it was the Queen of England who dubbed Nashville "Music City" after hearing a performance by The 5th Jubilee Singers." 

Now that's a story!

Maybe even the plot to her next web series?! 

I'm only hoping.

All of us here at Indieville are rooting for LaQuita.

Some day very soon LaQuita James' star is going to shine brightly along with great artists, her story making the passion of millions of other young girls just like her who dream of being a great actress a possibility, in both her work in commercial Hollywood and independently of it.

You can find out more about "Three's a Pain" here:  http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4658330/

And more on LaQuita: 

No comments:

Post a Comment